The Indian government-owned airline situated in New Delhi has a fleet of 128 planes. With three classes of plane travel – first, business, and economy – Air India has its own luggage rules that passengers should know before boarding. The following information outlines the luggage regulations of Air India, including the maximum number of checked bags allowed and any extra surcharges.
Air India’s Baggage Carry-On Policy
All Air India-operated airlines are subject to the luggage carry-on policy. It’s important to remember that the maximum dimensions for carry-on baggage are 55 x 35 x 25 cm – height, length, and width. However, the amount of luggage you may bring differs depending on whatever class you travel to.
- First Class:
Passengers can bring one piece of luggage that weighs no more than 8 kilograms. If a passenger’s luggage weighs more than 10 kg, they will be charged an over baggage tax and check their carry-on luggage into the hold.
- First and Business Class:
Passengers can bring one piece of hand luggage with a maximum weight of 12 kilograms. If your baggage weighs more than 12 kg, it will be on hold.
Cabin Baggage Allowance on Alliance Air-operated Flights
An airline company subsidiary permits a carry-on baggage size for Air India of 40 cm in height, 30 cm in length, and 15 cm in width.
Air India provides accessible child restraint seats and strollers for babies who are not qualified for complimentary seats or luggage allowances on Alliance Air flights.
May register carry-on and checked luggage for these products, and a traveller may also bring a personal item.
However, liquids, gels, and aerosols such as drinks, shampoos, lotions, creams, paste, hair sprays, liquid cosmetics, and any other products the 100 ml limit on Air India to regular Air India luggage limits.
Carriage of the ‘kirpan’ while flying:
According to Air India’s luggage allowance, a ‘kirpan’ is a sacred symbol of Sikhism that may as checked baggage on a domestic trip. According to Air India’s international baggage policy, it is on foreign flights.
Power Bank Transport with the Samsung Galaxy Note 7:
These things are dangerous to bring on an aeroplane because they are combustible materials.
Allowance for Other Items in Hand Baggage on Air India
- In recent years, Air India’s baggage policy has allowed the carriage of battery cells in a cabin class. Only carry-on luggage for spare batteries.
- Passengers can bring 12 ounces of powder or powder-like items in their carry-on luggage. Medically prescribed powder-like substances, infant formula, and human remains are examples.
Baggage Policy for Air India flights from India to the United States
The piece concept governs Air India’s luggage limit. The following is the luggage allowance for flights to and from the United States:
Each person can bring two pieces of baggage, each weighing 50 pounds.
Business and First Class:
Each traveller can bring two pieces of luggage weighing up to 70 pounds.
Children in any class are allowed the maximum weight for a single piece of luggage of 22 pounds.
Checked Baggage Policy of Air India
On the same key, Air India’s domestic flight baggage policy applies a free international baggage allowance to their air tickets for travelers connecting to an Air India global sector.
Air India Cabin Class Baggage Size and Weight Concept
The following criteria regarding baggage size of different travel classes on Air India luggage policy:
First and Business Class Baggage:
Each piece of checked baggage weighed 32 kilograms and had a linear size of no more than 62 inches.
Dimensions of Economy Class Baggage:
The maximum dimensions for Economy travellers with two pieces of baggage shall not exceed 273 cm.
International Travelers on Air India Get Extra Baggage Space
Suppose a traveller plans to carry athletic equipment, large, delicate, or perishable things, musical instruments, carriage of guns, or other items. In that case, specific requirements must while be booking a trip with Air India. Air India’s baggage policy specifies that the following items as “special luggage”:
Equipment for Sports
According to Air India’s sports baggage policy, you may bring sports equipment like as
When flying from India to the United States, passengers can bring a golf kit, which comprises a golf bag and a pair of shoes, which may be checked as free baggage or charged 50% of the extra baggage fee per kilogram, depending on the weather on the price class.
Skiing Equipment (Snow/Water):
They will charge an extra 33 per cent per kilogram of excess baggage for any skis, boots, snowboarding boots, or a set of water skis purchased by Flyers.
If this item is in the free baggage allotment, they will charge the flyer 50% of the extra baggage costs per kilogram.
Carriage for Pets and Pets
Domesticated animals such as dogs, cats, birds, and other pets can travel under Air India’s pet policy. Before boarding a flight with their pet, a traveller must adhere to the following rules:
- A maximum of two animals may as luggage, provided that they have appropriate health and immunization certificates and a No Objection Certificate.
- The dog or cat must be at least three months old and have had rabies vaccine at least one month before travel. Other medical certificates must as well. The owner’s name must be the same as the name on the flyer.
- Passengers must indicate on their airline tickets that they will be travelling with a pet.
- The cost of transporting a pet will be extra and not be in the Free Baggage Allowance, and it does not apply to guide or service dogs.
Instruments of Music
According to Air India’s Musical Instruments Policy, musical instruments such as:
Baggage to be carried on:
Tiny instruments, such as the violin and the flute, may be carried overhead or below the seat.
Baggage for the seats:
If your musical instrument does not fit in the designated area and the passenger does not want to risk checking it in the hold, they may purchase an extra seat at the current airfares.
Baggage to be checked:
Bulky or delicate instruments should e checked as luggage, and it must be the owner’s duty to pack them properly. It may also as checked luggage with a restricted release tag, which absolves the airline of all obligations in the event of damage.
Baggage Fees for Excess and Overweight Luggage on Air India
Excess and overweight luggage policies for foreign travel are outlined below, according to Air India baggage fees:
- Air India charges USD 40 per kilogram for flights from India to the United States, Canada, Europe, or Australia.
- Air India charges USD 15 per kilogram for flights from India to other overseas locations.
If you are flying from the United States to India or the United States to India, you will need any excess luggage you bring on board.
May buy excess luggage at a 20% discount by contacting their customer service department, booking office, or web portal. The prepaid baggage allowance is available for all Air India domestic and international flights. Here are some guidelines to follow:
- When the piece concept is in effect, prepaid baggage allowance may be as additional baggage, which gives the client two more pieces of luggage, or overweight baggage, which provides flyers with extra weight on free checked bags.
- Excess luggage may be bought up to 6 hours before departure on Air India flights exclusively; this does not apply to Alliance Air, Air India Express, or Air India codeshare flights.
- Infants are not authorized to travel with prepaid baggage, and there is no return if it is not utilized.
Air India’s Baggage Services
If your checked baggage is delayed or damaged, call Air India’s Baggage Service Counter immediately. Get a unique reference number by filling out the Property Irregularity Report. It would help if you also offered a complete description of your bags and personal belongings to the employees. After then, Air India will begin monitoring your luggage.
Delayed or Damaged Baggage Reimbursement Policy
Air India and their baggage would make every effort to get their luggage back on track if it is delayed for more than 24 hours when going overseas. On the other hand, Air India is exempt from liability for cosmetic flaws. If their baggage is lost and Air India cannot recover it within 21 days after the complaint, they may file a compensation claim.
Checked and Carrying On Luggage Packing Advice from Air India
- The best way to avoid exceeding the weight restriction on a trip is to have a luggage calculator.
- Packing valuables like medications, critical papers, and cash in your checked luggage is terrible, and they recommend storing it in your carry-on baggage for easy access and management.
- Excess luggage includes any purchases that exceed your free baggage limit, including duty-free ones.
- Must tag baggage tags with the correct information. Do not forget to provide your full name and address.
In comparison to other airlines’ baggage policies
Understandably, you’d want to know what other airlines are doing with their luggage, and this is why they have included the luggage policies for particular airlines below.
- Baggage Policy of United Airlines
- Etihad’s Baggage Restrictions
- Policy on Baggage at Emirates
- The Baggage Policy of Lufthansa Airlines
- As far as luggage policies go, Delta Airlines is the best.
- Baggage Policy for Virgin Atlantic Flights
- The Baggage Policy of American Airlines
- The baggage policy of Air France